Thursday 8 September 2011

The fashion diaries: The stylist


Thursday
Picked up at 5am from home in east London and driven to the Cotswolds. Wake up when the car stops and find we are in a field surrounded by old-fashioned painted wagons - Giffords Circus! The shoot is for the September issue of my magazine. The photographer is Ellen von Unwerth. My assistant, Kristina, has set up all the clothes and accessories in the backstage area of the circus tent. Their wardrobe wagon is parked nearby and the clothes I've brought (red sequin Rodarte, a glitter star dress by Dolce & Gabbana, ginormously high Natacha Marro shoes) look similar to the glimpses we get of theirs. My fiancé, James, back from a nine-day shoot in Barcelona, joins us for dinner. He brings our dog, Tilda.
Friday
Stayed in a four-poster bed in a beautiful hotel. James and Tilda leave. We continue shooting, starting with horses, followed by two flame-throwers juggling fire. We really love Tweedy the clown and do extra shots with him. It's nice having two days to shoot. Ellen was once in the circus and it's bringing back memories. Drive home to east London. James and I walk with Tilda in Victoria Park. Then home to cook and pack.
Saturday
Fly to Los Angeles in the morning to make a short film for the American clothing label Wren with Gia Coppola, a young director and the granddaughter of Francis Ford Coppola. Go straight to my hotel, the Sunset Marquis, when I land. It's really chilled out. The bar is great and there's a hidden pool. Wren's designer, Melissa Coker, takes me to Malo, a Mexican restaurant, for margaritas and chicken tacos. Later I select outfits for the following day. My friend Jenny arrives with her new puppy.
Sunday
Get picked up in a shiny red convertible. My suitcase hardly fits in the back. The location is Gia's mother's place. We shoot all day. The film is about a girl who meets a talking crab (Val Kilmer will do the voice of the crab). I love collaborating with Gia. It's our second time working together. She has such a specific quirky universe that is full of humour and charm. Short films bring out the artistic director aspect of styling. The first one I ever did was with Ellen von Unwerth and Kirsten Dunst years ago.
Monday
Read Keith Richards' book on the plane. Land in London at 3.30pm. It's James's birthday so I take the taxi via Patisserie Valerie to pick up a gluten-free chocolate cake I have ordered (James and I are both wheat-intolerant. We discovered having that in common on our first date). Get ready to go out to Bistrotheque in east London. I wear a Miu Miu pencil skirt and sweater and purple suede Miu Miu heels but change into a white Tibi dress and Repetto flats when James threatens to walk along the canal to get there. (We don't. It rains.)
Tuesday
Go to an artist's house in Clapton and do a shoot with Lily Cole. The photographer is Clare Shilland. Lily is a real professional. We hardly need to say a word to her in terms of direction. The day is fun. We shoot mostly inside - the house is amazing - but do one outside, too. As soon as we finish the sun vanishes and it pours with rain.
Wednesday
Fly to Provence to stay at a friend's château for a week. We will read books lying in hammocks by the pool, visit fleamarkets, cook and eat, and drink champagne.

No comments:

Post a Comment