Friday 23 September 2011

Skirting around the question of what to pack for Milan and Paris


"Carolyn's just texted. She's taking 12 pairs of shoes." "That message came in at midnight," my husband said, as we tried to close my suitcase at 5.30am on Wednesday. "I took the unilateral decision not to wake you".
I am not normally a neurotic packer. I went to New Zealand, Hong Kong and the States a few years ago for a month with just hand luggage, but that was to see my sisters, not Karl Lagerfeld and Marc Jacobs.
Thing is, I usually come back between Milan and Paris for a day or so. This season, there is no time for that. I need clothes for 16 different day outfits, six cocktail looks, two climates (28C in Milan, 19C in Paris) one flight and four train journeys, one of them seven hours, plus the occasional early morning run when I can cram it in (2am?). That means everything from trainers to lace, and since it will be properly autumn by the time I hit Paris, a coat.
Two main strategies emerged: ruthless minimalism, which was never really a goer. Or the technique known as Throwing Everything In. There had to be a third way.
There was. A combination of both that involved buying yet another suitcase - all my others are small enough, at a pinch, to fit in the overhead locker. The new one was a four-wheel drive, and it was vast.
But not vast enough. Not after I'd packed everything in tissue paper, the lotions (all decanted into small Muji bottles) and computer leads. The iPod speaker was non-negotiable. I took out the coat. I'd get by with my favourite velvet day-to-night jacket, which would get wrecked in a downpour.
I packed a raincoat. The lid bulged. I consulted the 10-day forecast for Paris. Inconclusive. I added a coat.
Fashion weeks are clearly ludicrous in their sartorial demands (it was much easier when everyone wore black the whole time), but longish business trips with corporate entertaining are a common enough dilemma. Here's my survival list:
- Four pairs of trousers, including red - it's a colourful season - and black jeans for travelling. Very dark blue velvet Stella McCartneys with black satin stripe - it's all about day-to-night dressing.
- One midnight-blue lace dress - no day mileage out of this, but there is a big Gucci party in Florence that requires serious dressing up.
- Four blouses, two with matching skirts, which can be worn as dresses.
- Six skirts - this was when I realised I'd lost it, but they're in everything from chiffon to wool. Weather do your worst, I'm sussed.
- Three tops - one silk, one chiffon, one metallic; all good day- to-dinner options.
- Two tailored jackets - one patterned (very next season - thank you, Cos), one dark navy, also works with black.
- One thin jumper.
- Two cardigans - one black, one camel, grey and orange, for maximum versatility.
- One trench coat.
- One cocoon coat - light but warm, and quite fabulous if I say so myself; perfect for those long waits outside, or when the outfit underneath is a write-off.
- Six pairs of shoes - two flats, two kitten heels and two high. Good shoes are a baseline requirement when there are photographers patrolling the front row, taking pictures of your feet.
- One pair of biker boots (fashion version, they're Jimmy Choo) - the traffic's terrible in Paris, I like to walk and take the Metro to shows. £Two pashminas, one belt, two big necklaces and earrings.
- One tote bag for lugging around my computer, one Mulberry smaller bag, one CĂ©line pouch for money, passport etc, which doubles as an evening clutch.
That's it. Not so crazy, apart from, maybe, the skirts. But I gave up trying to plan every last outfit - you have to build in some flexibility. Early days, but things are progressing to plan.
However, the nice lady at the British Airways check-in desk charged me £40 for two excess kilos. Do you think it's tax deductible?

No comments:

Post a Comment